Warning Cookies are used on this site to provide the best user experience. If you continue, we assume that you agree to receive cookies from this site. OK

Carbon Monoxide Detector

Carbon Monoxide Detectorscarbon monoxide detector CO

The Wireless Carbon Monoxide Detector from TASK gives an additional layer of protection from Carbon Monoxide leaks compared to standard Carbon Monoxide detectors.

This is because in addition to an alarm being automatically raised in the home, an alert is also sent to our 24/7 CareLink Response Centre. This means that if a person loses consciousness before they can raise an alert, or if the leak occurs at night when they are asleep, our CareLink operators will also receive an immediate alert that a leak has occurred. This allows them to take immediate action on the client’s behalf, alerting others that a Carbon Monoxide detector has been activated in the clients home.

Another benefit of the monitored Carbon Monoxide Detector is that our CareLink operators can advise the client of the potential seriousness of the incident and the importance of getting fresh air immediately.

If you do suspect a Carbon Monoxide leak, it is important to immediately open windows to ventilate the area, leave the room to get some fresh air and seek medical attention. Never use the appliance until it has been checked by a registered engineer.

When buying a CO alarm, make sure that it is approved to the latest European Standard (EN50291). As with all TASK products you can be assured of quality standards as every item we supply complies fully with all relevant certifications. Our Carbon Monoxide detectors are EN 50291 compliant.

About Carbon Monoxide  

Carbon Monoxide is hard to detect because you cannot see or smell it. It is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood do not have enough oxygen to burn completely. Household appliances that are incorrectly fitted or not regularly maintained, pose a high risk. This includes appliances such as gas fires, boilers, central heating systems, fires, water heaters and cookers. Blocked flues and chimneys are another potential cause of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide can cause death or long term neurological damage in everyone, but some people are more at risk than others. If you have young children you should be extra vigilant as they could be affected more quickly. Similarly, if you are pregnant or have breathing problems you will also be at a heightened risk.

Carbon Monoxide alarms should never be used in place of annual safety checks. However as the poisonous gas can seep into properties via shared flues or chimneys and can even permeate through brick walls there is also a risk from neighbouring premises.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A headache is the most common symptom of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. Other common symptoms can include feeling sick, dizzy, tired, confused or having difficulty breathing. It’s quite common for people to mistake CO poisoning for something else such as flu, food poisoning, or simply tiredness.

Some signs to look out for include:

  • The symptoms only occur when you are at home
  • Others in your household are experiencing symptoms (not necessarily the same symptoms as each other)
  • If you have pets they may be the first to show signs of CO poisoning because like children they are very vulnerable to the effects of CO gas. 
  • Sooting or staining on or around your appliances
  • Excessive condensation in the room where the appliance is installed.

For more details on our wireless monitored Carbon Monoxide detector please contact us.